This Quick Start describes how to start OSGeo-Live from a DVD or USB.
Your computer should have at least:
- RAM: 1 GB.
- CPU: 1 GHz i686 or compatible (Intel/AMD)
- Hard Disk:
- None required if running directly from the DVD
- 20 GB if you wish to install the operating system.
- Mouse: a 3-button mouse is useful, especially for Mac trackpad users.
Source an OSGeo-Live DVD, ISO available from: http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd Put the DVD into your computer’s CD drive, then reboot your computer.
If your computer is set to boot from CD (as is often the case) you should boot up into a Lubuntu system, with Geospatial applications installed. Otherwise you’ll have to adjust the BIOS boot settings or press the boot menu button just after powering-up.
Sit back while the system boots up.
Try the many applications from themenu.
- Getting started with Lubuntu and the LXDE desktop (which is used by OSGeo-Live):