This Quick Start describes how to start OSGeo-Live from a DVD or USB.
Your computer should have at least:
- None required if running directly from the DVD
- 10 GB if you wish to install the operating system.
Source an OSGeo-Live DVD, ISO available from: http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd Put the DVD into your computer’s CD drive, then reboot your computer.
If your computer is set to boot from CD (as is often the case) you should boot up into an Xubuntu system, with Geospatial applications installed. Otherwise you’ll have to adjust the BIOS boot settings or press the boot menu button just after powering-up.
When you see the above screen, you can press the spacebar to get to the special boot-up options menu. In most cases you won’t have to do that.
Sit back while the system boots up.
Try the many applications from the Geospatial menu.
- Getting started with the Xfce desktop: (an online work in progress)
- Getting started with the Ubuntu operating system: (a nice PDF e-book)
- Further online help with the Ubuntu operating system: (n.b. we use the traditional Xfce desktop interface, not the tablet-like Unity desktop interface)